The MENTOR Initiative is a UK registered charitable, not-for-profit, non-governmental organization working globally to relieve human suffering from tropical diseases. With support from BHA-PUI, The MENTOR Initiative is implementing Emergency Control of Malaria amongst high malarious areas in Borno state. The MENTOR Initiative works in close partnership with the MoH in Nigeria to build technical capacity and effective planning and responses to malaria and other VBDs.
We are recruiting to fill the position of:
Job Title: ME – Entomology Officer
Location: Maiduguri, Borno (With an option to work in other LGAs as assigned)
Reporting to: Senior Prevention Officer/Prevention Coordinator
Overall Job Purpose
- To assist the NGO functioning in all prevention and VBD control Activities.
Expected Key Results
Provide support to the Senior Prevention Officer/Prevention Coordinator for the achievement of the following results:
- Conduct all the entomological related activities in the field and MENTOR office
- Training and capacity-building of M&E and Survey teams to implement impactful and successful VBD Campaigns
- To cross check all the field activities data with the prevention team and ensure the accurate data is computerized and to properly file all the hard copies of the program data
- Proper documentation of various project activities including timely reporting and dissemination
- Maintaining fruitful coordination between The MENTOR Initiative and important stakeholders in the project areas
Key Tasks and Responsibilities
- To manage rapid assessment visits to the sites selected for the IRS Campaign and manage other planning activities.
- In coordination with the logistician, to ensure that all IRS and entomological equipment and materials are maintained and stored under good conditions.
- With close liaison with Prevention Coordinator and Snr Prevention Officer fully participate in the quarterly and final reports writing in reference to the expected indicators of the prevention activities log-frames.
- Proper labelling of mosquito collection tubes and other relevant materials as per the directions of line manager and provide clear information on activities performed.
- To properly organize all the program data securely including; the entomological, IRS, IEC/BCC and any surveys carried out.
- Analyze and report the pre and post IRS malaria data for the target locations and interpretation of the impact of interventions.
- To train teams on and conduct population sampling and surveys as required.
- Support the prevention team to conduct base line survey and end line survey in all the designated areas and analyze the impact of interventions.
- To carry out all the entomological activities in the field and office on regular basis or as assigned by Prevention Coordinator.
- Support the prevention team to monitor IRS Campaign activities using MENTOR M&E check-list and data tools and compiling results.
- Ensure M&E plans are in place for all indicators and review their relevance and effectiveness at capturing key program data
- To facilitate trainings of IRS teams and any VBD trainings and to ensure that the Prevention Officers are able to undertake quality trainings to IRS teams or VBD teams.
- To organize and manage the development of standard IEC materials and also to organize and facilitate trainings for community Mobilizers on proper IEC/BCC.
- Ensure that mechanisms are in place and effectively used to measure effectiveness and impact of IEC/BCC interventions.
- To ensure the accurately compilation of daily program data received from the Prevention officers, submit it to Prevention Officer and Prevention Coordinator on timely basis.
- To help support the prevention team to build strong relation with MoH, all relevant partner organizations and community stakeholders.
- Any other related tasks assigned by the line manager or the Country Director.
- A Degree or Diploma in Entomology / Epidemiology or Public Health.
Experience & Competency Requirement:
- 2 – 3 years of Previous NGO and/or work experience in the relevant field.
- Able to work as part of an established team with excellent communication skills, team builder, flexible, adaptable
- Good computer skills
- Conduct all activities in honest and trustworthy manner in the best interest of The MENTOR Initiative and the target community.
- Good understanding of important vector borne diseases and challenges in the vector control strategies as well as entomological surveillance.
- Knowledge on WHO guidelines regarding entomological surveys.
- Self-motivated individual who is able to work with minimal supervision.
- Ability to motivate team members especially field workers and technicians.
- Excellent interpersonal skills to handle efficiently technicians, field workers and communities for smooth running of project.
- Able to respond to deadlines.
Safeguarding & Prevention of Sexual Exploitation and Abuse
- The Mentor Initiative applies zero tolerance to the exploitation, sexual abuse and mistreatment of women, children and all others, and mobilizes all its staff in the implementation of its global policy.
- The Mentor Initiative will contact previous employers of applicants to determine if they have had a history of violating codes of conduct relating to sexual harassment, exploitation or abuse and fraud.
Application Deadline 3rd February, 2022.